Workshops & lectures are a way for a group to learn more about a quilting technique at a group rate. Why one does what they do, how they do it, and then being inspired to create afterwards. My workshops & lectures are a variety of techniques, history, and things I’ve learned along the way. I hope to inspire you always be creating!
I am available for groups of 8 or more. Contact me for scheduling & rates.
Each quilt is unique and different, therefore there are many methods for putting it together and quilting it. In this workshop you will learn 5+ methods for putting your quilt together after you have quilted smaller, manageable sections. Block by Block, Row by Row, Seam covering strips, and Borders & more! Lots of information. Including a trunk show of quilts!
- Sampler: In this workshop you will create samples of 4 different methods of Quilt-As-U-Go! Take home detailed notes and samples so that when you are ready to create a quilt using one of these methods you can refer to them. Also we will learn how to dissect quilt tops to determine the best method of Quilt-As-U-Go! for that quilt.
- Stitch & Flip reversible table runner: Learn the easy method of stitch & flip while you create a reversible table runner.
- Panel Play: begin with a panel, add borders with a Quilt-As-U- Go! method & end with a quilted quilt. A great baby quilt project!
- Fun & Done quilts: Choose one of the Fun & Done quilts I currently offer to learn how to do this block by block method.
- Dragonflies & Fishes: Learn the method of joining quilted sections together while creating this baby quilt.
Fold & Sew using precuts (5”, 10”, 2 ½” strips) to piece a quilt together quickly. There are 15 methods which can be used alone to create a quilt or combined. Many of the methods look like traditional quilt blocks but there is a unique twist to each. Make a quilt today and gift it tomorrow! Trunk show & unique quilt patterns will be shared.
- Sampler Quilt: Learn how to make 4 different block methods that will all be combined into one lap sized quilt.
- Reference Sampler: Create your own reference block of each method. Refer back to this when you are ready to create a quilt.
Learn the origins of the Barn Quilt movement thru a lecture and/OR the professionally produced documentary “Pieced Together.”
- Barn Quilts: Create your own 24” wooden Barn Quilt using 1 of 40 designs available from my book “How to Make a Barn Quilt.” Primed wood, paints, brushes, & designs are provided. Make one to display on your house, garage, shed or in your own sewing room.
- Garden Quilts: Create your own 12” wooden Barn Quilt using 1 of 21 designs available from my book “How to make a Garden Quilt.” Garden quilts are smaller versions of Barn Quilts that can be displayed in flower beds or gardens, as well as displayed on buildings. The designs are NOT the same as the 24” Barn Quilts. Flowers, animals, and nature related. Primed wood, paints, brushes & designs are provided.
- Seasonal Garden Quilts with Welcome sign: Create a special sign to place near your front door! Seasonal designs along with a simple Welcome sign. This is hung on a small metal flag holder (not provided in workshop) or any other way you like. These designs require student to purchase paints so they coordinate with their homes. However primed wood & designs are provided.
The Square in a Square® method consists of over 40 techniques for creating perfect triangle units for your quilts! For example: make 4 quarter square units at ONE time without having to press again or square up these units. AS they are done & ready to place in your quilt!
Flying geese, half square triangles, square in a square block, and many many more! 1 ruler does it all, no matter what size that unit. Learn from a Diamond Certified Square in a Square® instructor.
Lecture includes demonstration of the first 7 techniques ( & a few more) plus a trunk show of quilts.
- Reference Sampler: Learn the first 7 techniques of Square in a Square® by creating your own reference samples. Take home detailed notes, and samples to be able to begin creating at home! Requires the Square in a Square® ruler & reference book.
- Help! How do I use this ruler?: Have you purchased the Square in a Square® ruler in the past, yet forgot how to use it? OR have NEVER used it? This workshop is a refresher course for you. Bring your unfinished Square in a Square® project and Wenda will help you to know how to move forward on it.
- Hexi without Y Seams
- Constellation: A beginner Square in a Square® quilt. Learn how to make the basic square in a square unit, flying geese & half square triangles in one afternoon. These are 3 triangle units you will use over and over again no matter what quilt you make.
Make Mine Modern is Wenda’s journey toward more modern looking quilts, yet using her “old, vintage” stash of fabric. Quilting for over 30 years, Wenda has curated quite a stash of wonderful (and some not so wonderful) fabrics. BUT many of these fabrics are not the ones she wants to use in her quilts these days. So by learning a few techniques, and what makes a Modern quilt, she has begun the process of using those fabrics.
- Improv Stars: This quilt is based on a traditional star quilt with large flying geese, yet the center of each star has a “Square in a Square” block with improv pieced triangle units. Use your “OLD”stash to create these improv units combined with some solids to create a modern looking quilt.
- Improv Leaves: Using your “OLD” stash create leaves with scraps and bits. Add some solids and this quilt becomes modern. Make as many leaves as you like for your own quilt. The curved piecing is done with the Quick Curve Ruler technique. A must technique for creating beautiful curves!
- Minimal Triangles: Make some 60-degree triangles with a modern or solid fabric, add some of your “OLD” stash & it becomes modern! This quilt uses a 60-degree triangle or the Hex n More Ruler.
- Red Swirls: The element in this quilt is 2 colors: red & white. The reds are many many “vintage” fabrics while the whites are more solid or modern. The simplicity of 2 colors adds to the modern feel. The piecing uses a simple technique for curves without sewing a curved seam! NO special rulers needed!
Go beyond the t-shirt quilt. In this lecture Wenda will show you many methods & designs for dealing with clothing fabrics of all kinds: t-shirts, silk ties & blouses, sweaters, wool skirts, jean, baby clothes etc.
- Memory Quilt: Let’s create a quilt with clothing. Wenda will guide you through baby clothes, adult clothes, knits, jean, bandanas, men’s shirts, & t-shirts. Learn how to handle knit & woven fabrics in one quilt.
- Memory Bear: Create a memory Teddy Bear from knit clothes (t-shirts, baby onesies, knit baby blankets, etc.).
Learn how to be more productive & how to organize your supplies, fabrics, and tools. Learn how to recognize what type of space you need to be more creative.
Stash busting! Bring a laundry basket of fabric stash & we will begin the organizing process. Learn speed cutting methods & other techniques to make this process quick so you can get to the fun of quilting! Combine this workshop with a Fold & Sew workshop for a full day of fun!